Weird Rants



I try to keep my blog positive and not be too whiny, but I just need to get something off of my chest. Have you ever met a celebrity and been totally disappointed? Like it was someone you really loved to watch on TV and you meet them and they completely suck?

I used to love Ace of Cakes! I mean, I used to dream of working at Charm City Cakes and I really wanted to start my own business as a cake decorator because of Duff Goldman. I had watched an episode of Ace of Cakes that took place at a charity event called Zoomerang hosted at the Baltimore Zoo. A few years ago my husband was friends with the CEO of his company's niece and we scored some tickets. This was super amazing because the tickets normally cost $250 a piece and we got ours for free! I knew Duff would be there and I anxiously awaited the event.

I made it to Zoomerang and scanned the crowds in search of my cake-making hero. I saw Mary Alice and she looked like she was having a good old time and was talking to everyone. I headed through the event, feet aching from my 5 inch heels with high hopes. Then I saw him, camera crew in tow. I waited in a giant line for a slice of his cake handed out by him. I made it to the front and worked up the guts to ask him for a picture and this is how it went:

Me: "I'm so excited to meet you. I am a huge fan!"

Duff: (Silence staring straight ahead.)

Me: "I watch your show all the time and I think you are so talented."

Duff: "Look, can you hurry up and take the picture. I don't have all day."

Me: (Mouth hanging open staring at Duff while my husband snaps the picture.)

I went home shortly after that, heels in hand, heart on the floor. Duff, what did I ever do to you but love you??

I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself that maybe he was having a bad day? Maybe he was sick? Then, I finally accepted, maybe Duff wasn't as awesome as Food Network editing makes him look. Oh Duff, it was good while it lasted.

P.S. Your cake was dry.

Pin It

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a bummer moment for you! I know it sucks to be let down by someone you admire! Good for you for being able to vent about it!

Unknown said...

I keep forgetting to tell you (I think...unless I've already told you) that my cousin Julie knows Mary Alice. Well, in an acquaintance type way I believe. They both went to UMBC together. Your Duff story always makes me sad!

Lisa C. said...

WOW... that's truly sad..

ESN said...

If he could have spent a half hour with you...you would have had him in stitches and loving you.
I'm sure if he knew you he would have been the one dying for a pic together.

lAuRa said...

hahaha I feel your pain! I met a few people, one Jazz player and an actor from the "Singles Ward", I didn't love them like you loved this guy, but I was excited to see someone famous...and they were both rude! What is up with these famous people :) I no longer root for the jazz. haha jk. I think most of them are too caught up in themselves to realize....they're human beings just like us! :)
Cute, fun blog! i'm glad you left it on my blog.