What's in a Name?

I saw this over at my new bloggy friend Kate's blog and had to give it a try. I am OBSESSED with names. When I was 5 I had my mom buy me a baby name book and I carried it around everywhere circling names I liked. I can't wait to have kids just so I can name them! Weird I know, but everyone's gotta have something!

{I'm going to be 100% honest on the post below so don't get offended and if you do stop reading!}



1. How did your parents decide on your name?

My dad wanted to name me Valerie which is so not me! And my mom wanted Hannah, but my dad said that was a "fat girl" name Nice dad. So Megan was the compromise. Personally, I like Hannah.
2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?

MKL...nope! Although when I monogram stuff it looks like Martin Luther King.
3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name?

I kept my middle name because I love that it is Kristine with a "K." And it is so because my mom's best friend is Kristy and I was named after her. I REALLY wanted to keep everything, but it was just too long.
4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)

I won't use a theme other than FREAKIN AWESOME!
5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?

I loved the name Martina and Jessa when I was really little. I also loved James. I have no partiality to these names now. It seems super random to me. I found them in the baby name book. lol.
6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?

Are you read for this? My husband's name is John. His maternal grandfather is John. His cousin is Jonathan. My paternal Grandfather's name is John. He has a son John. My mom has a brother John. He has a son named Jonatham. I have another little cousin named John. And another cousin named Jonathan. And a cousin named Ian (A form of John). Got all that? Needless to say we will not be naming any children John.
7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?

My family is Catholic. Pretty self- explanatory.
8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?

My dog is named Rolly. This was my Grandpa's name as a little kid because last his name was Rolston. I thought it was cute.

9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
I do not like Rachael. I don't know why because I have a cousin named Rachael whom  love. But I think the mad Rachaels outweigh the good ones. And all boys named Matt are rude. lol. At least in high school they were.
10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?

I love my niece Delainey's name. I'm so jealous Emily got it. I refuse to name my most favorite name in the world because one of the reasons I love it is because it's so uncommon and if I post it here it may start a giant trend of everyone naming their kid that then my life will be ruined!!! Not really, but I still can't utter it for fear I will never have a child to name this and my saying it will jinx it.

Pin It

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Very cute post. Be prepared- I may steal the idea (with a link back to you of course!)...

Steph P said...

ha ha, my husband's name is Matt...and he's...quite outspoken and often thought of as quite rude! That made me laugh, when I first met him, I was NOT interested because I thought he was a jerk. So yeah...Matt's are rude!